BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sept 6, 2009




Dear Family,

Another week bites the dust. This week started slow but definitely ended with a bang.

Mon-Fri consisted of the same basic DRY, BORING, schedule which was:

Wake up at 4:00 a.m. Physical training, breakfast, come back and change into our camo's, then classes and classes and classes and classes. Usually we would have 3 or 4 hour blocks with all 240 soldiers in a room listening to one instructor with a slide show presentation. Even the instructors said it was boring and most of the company got in trouble for falling asleep. After the first block of classes we would eat lunch and go back to another class session then dinner, classes, mail, shower and finally bed.

The classes had some cool things though. I learned how to address a combat injury and move him to safety. I learned to survive in a nuclear, chemical or biologically dangerous environment using equipment. And I learned to find almost any location using a map and a compass and a protractor.

I got through most of the work by telling myself how awesome Saturday would be. And I wasn't disappointed. We started out with an obstacle course. It was like an adult version of "Some Dudes Playground", complete with low crawls, rope climbs, wall jumps, rope wall jumps, and monkey bars. I really enjoyed it. It helped a lot to relieve the stress and relax a little.

After that came the Gas Chamber. Yes THE GAS CHAMBER. The horror story of every persons BT experience.

It started out with a period of instruction that I was very grateful for in the end. We were told that we would go into the chamber in a group with our masks on, do some quick exercises, clear our mask (which consists of removing the mask and putting it back on to show we could put them on in gas) Then we would take off our masks, and put them away in the specific way they how shown us a thousand times. And then, we would be done. If everyone did it right it would be short and MOSTLY painless.

When it was my turn, we walked in and I immediately felt a sharp tingling on my nose and I was so afraid my mask hadn't sealed. But it had and it all worked out. While we were doing the exercises all my exposed skin began to burn, like it does when you power sand it for 2 hours. But I tried to ignore that to get the rest over with. Clearing the mask went well. I did it right and the only thing I felt was that same burning on my face.

Then we were given the order "ALL CLEAR" (take off the mask) and things got bad from there. I held my breath, closed my eyes, took off my mask, and put it away. Just like I was supposed to. I waited as long as I could but eventually I ran out of air, and took a breath. I will regret that breath as long as I live (ha ha) I felt the gas go into my nostrils and mouth and I can't even describe how bad it was. It was just a burning, cutting, scratching, stinging, ripping sensation. I started coughing pretty violently and I felt sick in my stomach. I heard everyone around doing the same, then I heard a loud voice near my ear yell "THAT'S WRONG PRIVATE". At first I didn't respond. I could barely focus on anything. I heard it again. So finally I opened my eyes to see that the Drill Sergent was talking to the guy in front of me. Before I closed my eyes I noticed thick beads of drool hanging from my mouth and a long thick string of snot from my nose. But frankly I could care less. Then finally they let us out. We were guided into the sunlight and I felt fresh air in my lungs. We were supposed to yell "eyes open, arms flappin" as we ran in a circle to get the crystals off of us. (we WERE flapping our arms by the way. ) It really was a horrible experience. But it is a good memory and a good lesson.

Well that's all the excitement for this week. Besides the 1000 word essay on hydration because someone forgot to fill up their canteen. A 1:30 a.m. wake up when there was a mistake on someones medicine and of course plenty of push-ups.

So how are thing there? It sounds like you have all been busy. Jalen and Johny are probably just barely getting done with those piles of disclosures (I loved those things) How is school for everyone? Tell me all the classes everyone is taking. Has it started getting cold yet? Winter is just around the corner. I know Mom is excited for that. Ha

Is Jordan playing soccer for Weber? How is that going? How was Jalen's first game? Does he play middle or defense? Have everyone tell me all about it. I heard BYU won. That's tight. I bet Erin, Patrick and especially little Cal are excited. Tell Dave and Marla I'm still hoping for Allisons address (also I wanted to see if they would want to come to my family day in about 2 months. ) Of course everyone is invited but I know they have some hook ups in KY.

Well that's all for now. I'm moving right along. I've gotten into a routine. So things have gotten better. I'm still just trying to stay out of trouble and not get noticed.

I love all of you and I miss you all a lot. The other day they had turkey and stuffing for lunch and it totally reminded me of all the happy Thanksgiving together. I know that sounds kind of cheesy but it help a lot to remember all the good times. It helps me keep going. I know I'll see you all soon.

Your Soldier,
Justin

1 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Justin, it sounds like you are having a great experience there despite the hardships and tediousness of some of it. You will probably make some really good friendships while you are there and learn some really good stuff. I am in awe of you and the gas mask experience! wow, that sounds horrible! Know that you and your family are in my daily prayers and keep smiling! It's such a beautiful one, your smile that is!