BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sept 20, 2009

Hello Family

Hard to believe another week has gone by. If you want to know I've got 30 something days, or 4 Sundays left to go. That's not so bad. I think I can make it a few more weeks.

Like I said this week has been all about learning to fire our M16's. It's been really cool. I learned pretty quick and I think I'm doing pretty good. Friday we had our first look at full speed pop up targets. It was a pretty scary experience for me. (ha not like my life was in danger. I didn't want to scare you.)

We started with the 8K road march. It was tiring and raining. We were in full battle gear with a 50 lb ruck sack on our back. But it wasn't so bad except I was pretty tired after. Then we had to fire. When it was my turn it started and the first target popped up. I put my aim on it and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened so I knew I missed. Then the next target popped up and went down before I even aimed at it. I started sweating and breathing hard. So, my safety goggles fogged up. The rest of the time I had trouble seeing and I think I got like 4 out of 44 targets. It was pretty bad. Our qualification is on Tuesday and they said if we don't get at least 23 out of 40 we have to start Basic Training over. So needless to say I was pretty nervous after that blunder.

Saturday we went to another range and they told us it is the same range we will be qualifying on. So if we did well we didn't have anything to worry about. I was so nervous. I wanted so bad to do well. Mostly to build my own confidence that I could do it. I prayed to whole morning for help to do good. I imagined a group of angels coaching me and helping me focus and keep steady. It helped a lot and I kind of don't think I was imagining it. Any way, when it was my turn I stepped up and got everything ready. We started and I aimed at the first target and missed. Ha that sucked. But from that point on I was in the zone. I was hitting almost every target, even the 300 meter shots and when 2 targets came up at once I barely missed. When it was over I found out I got 30 out of 40. Not great, but I was so happy. It really improved my confidence in myself and my faith in my Heavenly Father.

Other than that not much has happened. The days have really been going fast and things have been going better. Five people have been kicked out of our platoon so far. It's been pretty crazy. Three kids got caught huffing Dust Off, one kid snuck out at 2:30 a.m. to make a phone call, and one went to sick call and said he had mental problems so he could get out.

The good new is, a lot of the people who kept screwing up for everyone are gone and now it seems like a lot of people are stepping up. We are doing better and getting punished less. Each day seems to become easier and move faster. I'm hoping we will phase soon because our platoon still has to carry around the stick of shame. Ha today a group that is almost graduating made fun of us for it. But then they said don't worry about it because they were in Red Phase till week seven.

I've been getting your letters and it's so good to hear from everyone. Tell Jordan congrats on the scholarship. That pretty freakin awesome. I also got Jalen's letter. That car your drew is freakin awesome. You definitely need to get into engineering with Mr. Frost so you can learn to start drawing that in 3D. Also the Drill Sergents told us to draw something to put on the t-shirts that we get at the end. Our name is OUTLAWS. So if Jalen or Jordan want to draw something for me to pass off as my own, that would be awesome. EVERYONE who sees Jalen's Combat Medic picture wants one for themselves. ha ha

I was excited to hear that you guys are moving to a business that is more your own. It might be a little scary but I know when you guys get it going, It's going to work out awesome. I think it will be a lot of work now, but it will pick up and it will all be worth it.

It sounds like Johnny and Lonica are doing awesome in gym and dance. I can't wait to see some home videos of their newest stuff. Won't that be a fun day?

I've made a lot of really good friends. I'm starting to get to know people and some are starting to pick up on my dry sarcastic jokes. Instead of looking at me like I'm an idiot. I've gotten to know the only other Mormon in my platoon pretty well. He goes to Utah State and joined to pay for school and mission. It's kind of funny when other groups are talking about drinking and parties, me and him are talking about how much cereal we used to eat and playing board games with our family on Sunday.

The missionary work has been moving right along. The kid that came to church with me last week signed up to come again. It's pretty cool. I think he was looking for the truth and I think he found it. On Friday I left my Book of Mormon on my bed and when I came back this guy was looking through it. I asked if he had ever heard of it. He said he had but he had never read it. The he said maybe I'll come to the Mormon church. I don't know if he is going to come because it last 2 1/2 hours and most people sleep in the barracks during other services. But I talked to him a little and he said he definitely would want a Book of Mormon if I could get one. ha When I give it to him that will be my 3rd BoM placement.

Well that's all I have to tell for now. The next weeks should be more exciting. With the promise of throwing hand grenades, shooting a 50 cal, and paint ball fights with the Drill Sergents.

I love all of you. I love hearing about everything that is going on. It sounds like everyone is keeping busy but having fun. I'm sure you've all changed more than I like to imagine but I'm excited to see how much everyone has grown up. Keep praying for me and writing letters Ü and get ready for winter, it's just around the corner. ha ha

Love Justin



Ha OK Change of plans of the missionary work thing. That kid who came to church last week came again and heard the missionary lessons again. After church we were all talking and he said he thinks he is getting baptized next week. Oh man , I'm so excited. It's pretty awesome what the spirit can do. Well that's all. I love all of you.

0 comments: